- 1 tbsp olive oil, more if needed
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced thickly
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup of Asiago cheese
- 12 no cook lasagna noodles
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 4 cups of marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and golden brown. Meanwhile, in another skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, making sure to break it up into crumbles. Add the dried basil, garlic powder, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Once the meat is brown add the minced garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and drain any grease.
In a large bowl, add ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, Asiago cheese, fresh chopped parsley, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Combine until mixed thoroughly.
Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan cooking spray then layer with just enough marinara sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay four lasagna noodles in the pan. Spread some of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, then spoon some of the ground beef mixture on top, followed by caramelized onions, and spinach leaves. Add four more noodles then top them with more sauce; repeat layering. Finish with a layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.Bake covered in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes. Let the lasagna cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.